How To Rent An Apartment In Carmel
Are you getting ready to rent your first apartment? Or maybe it’s been a long time since you leased one, and now you’re going through the steps again. Here’s what you should to know about how to rent an apartment in Carmel, from determining your budget to finding the right apartment and submitting the application.
What Can You Afford?
What you should do at the outset is determine what you can pay. You don’t want to become enamored with a place only to realize it’s not possible from a budgetary standpoint. Examine your finances before you take a tour of that fantastic two-bedroom with a nature view. Here are some tips to help you.
- Look at your net income - the total you have after taxes - and deduct your present bills (credit cards, loan payments, etc.).
- Factor in unexpected charges like car repairs and urgent healthcare. In general, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Approximate costs at your new unit, such as groceries and utilities. If you’re not sure where to start, assign $250 per month for each one.
- How frequently do you go out? Project your dining and entertainment expenses per month.
- What do you have remaining? This is what you can allocate for rent. This is a great time to determine if you might want a roommate.
Picking The Ideal Apartment In Carmel
Exploring different complexes and floor plans can be enjoyable but also demanding of your time. Be sure you provide yourself plenty of time to search around - at least a month or two. Your opening step is to figure out which area you want to live in. How close do you want to be to your office or school? Are you looking in the city or in the suburbs? Is there shopping and nightlife nearby? Knowing the location will greatly benefit you.
You in all likelihood already know the number of bedrooms you’ll want, so you can direct your attention on finding the most appealing floor plan. Next, you need to decide what amenities are must-haves. Is a health club or pool non-negotiable? Do you need a pet-friendly community with a dog park? Making these decisions will narrow down the possibilities.
Completing The Application Process
After you’ve discovered an apartment, you need to finish the application process. You should be ready with photo identification, evidence of income, and references. You’ll usually have to pay an application fee to cover the cost of background and credit checks. If you intend to use a co-signer, let the leasing agent know early in the process, as they may not be allowed.
The application process will typically include the following:
- Pay the application fee
- Submit an application form
- Expect credit and background checks
- Sign the lease
On the actual application form, you should plan to provide this information:
- Name, email, phone number, and present address
- Your employer and salary
- Previous address(es)
- Pets (if applicable)
- Contacts in case of emergency
- References - you may be asked to provide previous landlords or professional and personal references
Come Home To The Right Apartment At One One Six Apartments
Leasing an apartment in Carmel isn’t hard to do at One One Six Apartments. We boast a wide range of amenities and floor plans to fit your lifestyle. Schedule a tour to explore our community or call 317-350-1941 to speak with one of our friendly leasing representatives about how to rent one of our apartments in Carmel.